The Outer Great Barrier Reef - Cairns, Australia. The Reef is Yours!
Wally Says - Now is the time to have some fun and experience one of the most unique Natural Wonders of the World: The Great Barrier Reef -Join the Fun - Book Now!
We are a small business that is very environmentally conscience and directly see the impact that man can have on our planet every day. We also see how resilient the earth is and how well it recovers from everything that gets thrown at it. To help the cause have been looking at Carbon offset programs that align with our thoughts on environmental conservation. Simple I thought there are many programs out there we can just pick one of the many but after a little investigation I found that there are a lot of things to consider when choosing such a program. Here are the top points to consider when looking at a program;
1. First one seems obvious but believe it or not you need to check that the company themselves is environmentally conscience and follows earth friendly practices.
2. They are not reselling growth that already exists, sometimes referred to as “securing for future generations”. The offset has to be all new growth.
3. What is being planted is native to the area and not introducing new species.
4. The plants fit into the balance of the area and are not taxing the area using too much water or other natural resources.
5. The offsets are occurring in area that you are polluting, while any offset is better than none, helping out locally means that you are directly contributing back to the area you are polluting. This may even lead to the further greening of our cities. You can also go and see the good work that you have contributed towards
6. Carbon trading and carbon credits are not what you should be looking for, these are arbitrary targets negotiated by politicians. Do the right thing and try as much as possible to be carbon neutral, the rest will follow.
7. Refine and make your own processes more efficient to limit your amount of carbon generation.
8. Your purchasing or vendor chain may need some tweaking; sourcing your product locally where possible not only saves emissions caused by long haul traffic it helps invigorate your local economy.
9. Support charities that are focused on reforestation of native plants. These organizations are driven by an ideal rather than profit so you will get the most value out of your money while supporting a good cause.
10. Support other organizations that are as committed as you are. This will help drive the green economy and act as an incentive for others to start participating in greening our planet.
If you are a company focusing in carbon offsetting and meet the above requirements please contact us and I’ll be happy to give you a plug.